Cristiano Ronaldo exams constructive for COVID-19 | Information
The Portuguese captain has been removed from his country’s upcoming Nations League game against Sweden.
The Portuguese captain Cristiano Ronaldo has tested positive for the corona virus, according to the national football association.
In a statement on Tuesday, the Portuguese Football Federation (FPF) said the 35-year-old striker is “fine, symptom-free and isolated”.
It was not said when he tested positive.
Ronaldo played in the 0-0 draw in France in the Nations League on Sunday and the 0-0 draw against Spain in a friendly last week.
He was removed from the Nations League game against Sweden on Wednesday.
On Monday, the Juventus striker posted a photo on Twitter of him and the rest of the Portuguese team eating together. The players were all close together at a table and Ronaldo apparently took the photo himself at the front end.
Along with the tweet, Ronaldo wrote in Portuguese: “United on and off the field!”
United on and off the field! 🇵🇹👏🏽👊🏽 #todosportugal pic.twitter.com/4bQSUIPm2m
– Cristiano Ronaldo (@Cristiano) October 12, 2020
The association said Ronaldo’s result sparked another round of testing for the rest of the Portuguese squad. It was said that everyone else on the team had tested negative.
The squad should train normally on Tuesday before the game against Sweden in Lisbon.
Portugal and France lead Group 3 after three games with seven points each.
After the positive test, Ronaldo will certainly miss the upcoming matches of his Italian club Juventus.
Juve will visit Crotone in Serie A on Saturday and will kick off the Champions League next Tuesday at Dynamo Kiev.
It can only become active again after it has tested negative again.
The striker isn’t the first among the world’s most famous footballers to sign COVID-19.
Others are his Juventus team-mate Paulo Dybala; Neymar of Paris Saint-Germain, Kylian Mbappe, Angel di Maria and Marquinhos; Paul Pogba of Manchester United; and Zlatan Ibrahimovic from AC Milan.