Nagorno-Karabakh battles proceed for a 3rd day: Reside information | Asia

  • The armed forces of Armenia and Azerbaijan fought with missiles and artillery in a new round of the decades-long conflict in the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region.
  • The fierce fighting, which lasted a third day on Tuesday, has so far killed dozen of soldiers and at least 11 civilians.
  • The United Nations and the international community have called for an immediate ceasefire and a negotiated solution.

Here are the latest updates:

08:10 GMT – Azerbaijani armed forces shoot at Armenian military units far from Nagorno-Karabakh: Armenia

The Azerbaijani armed forces opened fire on an Armenian military unit in the border town of Vardenis and kilometers from the breakaway Nagorno-Karabakh region, which has been the subject of clashes in recent days, the Armenian Defense Ministry said.

A civilian bus caught fire after being hit by an unmanned drone from Azerbaijan, a statement said.

Separately, Armenia denied an earlier report by the Azerbaijani Ministry of Defense that the Armenian army shelled the Dashkesan region on the border between the two countries

06:15 GMT – The fighting between Nagorno-Karabakh continues on day three

The Armenian and Azerbaijani armed forces have used heavy artillery in the recent fighting over Nagorno-Karabakh, both sides said.

Azerbaijani Defense Ministry said opposing forces were trying to regain lost ground by counter-attacking Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Agdere and Terter. On Tuesday morning there was fighting over the city of Fizuli, and the Armenian army shelled the Dashkesan region on the border between the US and two countries, miles from Nagorno-Karabakh.

Armenia denied the bombardment of Dashkesan but reported that there was fighting all night and said the Nagorno-Karabakh army repelled attacks from different directions along the line of contact.

05:30 GMT – 53 troops killed in clashes with Azerbaijani armed forces: Nagorno-Karabakh

Nagorno-Karabakh said 53 of its soldiers were killed while fighting with Azerbaijani forces.

It also said it recaptured lost territory on Sunday, but its leader later said that neither the Azerbaijani army nor the Armenian military took any tactical positions during Monday’s fighting.

He said the Azerbaijani army launched a major attack on Matagis and Talish.

05:25 GMT – OIC condemns Armenian “aggression” against Azerbaijan

The Organization for Islamic Cooperation (OIC) has condemned Armenia’s “aggression” against Azerbaijan and called for a political solution to the conflict between the two countries.

The organization reiterated its solidarity with Azerbaijan, saying it was deeply concerned and was following several attacks by Armenia on its eastern neighbor, “violating the ceasefire and leaving civilian casualties”.

“It [OIC] calls for the full and unconditional withdrawal of the Armenian armed forces from the occupied Azerbaijani territories and dialogue in order to reach a political solution to the conflict between the two countries based on respect for the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Republic of Azerbaijan and its inviolability internationally recognized limits ”, it says in the OIC declaration.

You can read the September 28th updates here.

Comments are closed.