UFC boss Dana White fumes after Conor McGregor leaks message exchanges (VIDEO) — RT Sport Information
Dana White accused Conor McGregor of breaking a “man code” after the Irish star shared private messages between the two before announcing that he would face Manny Pacquiao in a boxing match.
McGregor posted a series of tweets on Friday setting out his frustrations over not being able to start his 2020 season in the Octagon.
Among the tweets were screenshots of messages between McGregor and UFC boss White discussing possible options for the Irishman after his comeback win over Donald ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone in Las Vegas in January.
McGregor pushed for a fight in LA in LA in May and a fight with US veteran Diego Sanchez in Dublin in August, despite White finding both options impractical.
McGregor ended his tweets by announcing that “all the water was under the bridge” and that he was taking another boxing trip to battle eight-headed world champion Manny Pacquiao in the Middle East – the Filipino star’s camp later confirming those talks were in progress.
Also on rt.com
“I’m Boxing Manny Pacquiao in the Middle East”: Conor McGregor says he is returning to the ring to face Filipino legend
But White has now stood up to McGregor for sharing the details of their discussions with the whole world.
“This is man-code stuff … it’s just something you don’t do. It’s one of the dirtiest things you can do,” White said after UFC 253 on Fight Island in Abu Dhabi.
Sanchez was one of those out on duty at Fight Island that weekend, where he suffered a decisive loss to Jake Matthews.
“By the way, we were just talking about Diego Sanchez, and Diego Sanchez is in there, in a private conversation I had with Conor.
“When you’re number two or three in the world [McGregor]but you are telling me that at a major event in Los Angeles you want to fight the 39-year-old ranked Diego Sanchez … yes, “added the UFC chief with a scornful look.
“I have no idea,” White added when asked if the McGregor-Pacquiao meeting talk was true, even though the UFC was reportedly “on board” with the idea.
White was heavily involved the last time McGregor entered the world of boxing in 2017 to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr. in a money spinner in Las Vegas.
Pacquiao’s camp announced on Saturday that a deal would be finalized for a fight with McGregor, some of which would benefit Covid-19 victims.
“For all Filipino Covid-19 victims, Senator Manny Pacquiao will fight UFC superstar Conor McGregor next year,” said a statement told the media.
Also on rt.com
PAC-MAC is switched on! Manny Pacquiao Camp ‘CONFIRM Deal Being Closed’ for Conor McGregor boxing match
“Most of its revenue goes to those affected by the pandemic across the country.”
The statement added, “Our attorneys are finalizing all confidential details, but both fighters are preparing for this one epic final boxing match.”
Should McGregor take on the 41-year-old Pacquiao, it will be the second time that ‘The Notorious’ is professionally caught between the ropes.
He fought Mayweather in the summer of 2017 and was stopped by the US legend in the 10th round.
Pacquiao, who also serves as the Senator in the Philippines, last fought in July 2019 when he defeated Keith Thurman to win the WBA Welterweight (Super) title and become the oldest champion in the division’s history.
He can look back on a record of 62 wins, seven losses and two draws in a career spanning more than two decades.
Pacquiao’s fitness trainer Justin Fortune warned earlier this year that if they met in the ring, his husband would “wipe out” McGregor.
“Manny will destroy Conor McGregor within three turns. He will wipe him out too quickly and too strongly as an amazing fighter. McGregor is nothing, “he said.
Legendary trainer Freddie Roach also said the Filipino star would easily take on McGregor’s challenge.
Also on rt.com
Easy job: legendary coach Roach warns McGregor that Pacquiao will quickly knock him out if ex-UFC champion bids for a return to boxing